Thursday, 22 September 2011

Refashion Post - Combo Skirt and a Plea for Input

It has been ages since I have written a refashion post. Probably because I don't have a lot to show you. Still, I am looking at inspiration and getting my warm weather clothes out of the closet, so it is on the radar.

I do have one thing to show you. My new skirt. It isn't terribly original or look all that beautiful, but I feel good in it. I like very casual dressing, and I like wearing full long skirts because you can sit cross legged. I also resonate with denim, probably my 70's childhood of wearing jeans and overalls.

I made it by combining a tiered skirt with an elastic waist with a cut-off denim skirt. Easy peasy. I think I will do some more. I like that it has pockets.

I need your input. I redid this thrifted top a while ago. I dyed it blue and shortened it. All very good, but it doesn't feel 'ready'. The yoke really looks like it needs something. Immediately I think embroidered flowers, which just seems to be what is expected - I wouldn't actually like it. I need to put something up there that will kind of counteract the puffy sleeves.
Maybe something geometric? The yoke is lightweight, semi-sheer fabric otherwise I might consider applique. Should I paint it? Or draw something?

11 comments:

Christine said...

I like the idea of painting/drawing something ... your artwork is amazing & could be on show! Have you included any drawing or painting on your clothes before?

agnespterry said...

If you've seen any of Alisa Burke's blog (think I'm spelling that right)she has done a couple of demos recently about fabric puff paint that look absolutely amazing. You should check them out, I think they'd look good with your shirt. :-)

Ricë said...

Good advice. I can't think of any because I would HAVE to cut down the neck--I couldn't stand having something that close to my throat. I'd do maybe raw edge or maybe stitch on a neckband from another t-shirt and then add beads. But I like the idea of a drawing much better, so ignore me!

Ricë said...

Oh, I meant to say I love the skirt--I've got a couple I did exactly that way. It's fabulous having pockets and NOT having an elastic waistband. You can find those old tiered skirts at thrift shops and use your jeans after the crotch goes. Why does it always go first? I have no idea, but one ripped out today when I sat down to put on my shoes. And the jeans aren't tight, so that's not it. Grrrr. The hardest place to mend, too.

Zom said...

Christine, I haven't drawn or painted on clothes before. I want to though.

Agnes, I love all these creative people you are sharing. I will look her up too.

RIce, yeah the skirts are a no-brainer. I don't mind the height of the neck, plus it has a great little covered button closing in the back.

Kel said...

well, cos I'm not as slim as you, I'd cut the yoke out to create a visual appearance of 'less'

ha-ha, says me who has a sewing machine in the studio that my husband uses, not me ! i really like the idea of being handy with a sewing machine, but am so not handy with one...

but since colour blocking is supposed to be big this summer, how about painting it a contrasting colour?

nollyposh said...

Oh migoodness-ness that skirt is fabulous!!! <3

Carolyn said...

Love the blue! I like the idea of painting the yoke, or batik?

Carolyn said...

Or, maybe you could modify the yoke to make it somewhat of a cowl neck which you could paint or bead or embroider.

Carolyn said...

Sorry for 3 posts in a row. I tried to put a link in the post above but it didn't work. Try googling Simplicity Pattern 2593 for an example of the neckline I was suggesting. It looks like it could be embellished.

I like how you modify/customize clothing. It's inspiring.

Zom said...

because I have already done quite a bit with this top, I find myself unwilling to do a lot more. Strange that, it doesn't really make sense.

I am intrigued by the idea of painting or drawing on it, so I think that will be my next step.

Agnes, I checked out the puff paint -that is pretty appealing generally. I would like to get some. I think the yoke is to lightweight for it on this top though.

Carolyn, bummer if you can't put links in the comments. You can create a link down below. I will google the pattern, but I don't think I feel much like cutting into this one. Still, the next one...