Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Dyed and Reverse Applique T Shirt

For this refashion you will have to imagine a plain white t-shirt. I didn't take a photo, but that is pretty easy right? First I put it into a purple dye bath with a few other thrift store finds. Then I recut the neckline and cut a strip out of dotted cotton knit that I had. I ironed it in half and commenced to hand sew it onto a new neckline.
I enjoyed the hand sewing, and I worried less about it stretching than with the machine.
The polka dot neckline looked a bit out there on its own, so I thought about putting strips on the sleeves. But my bloggie friend Ricë had recently been doing reverse applique and I thought I would like to give it a try.

The paper shapes in the background were me trying out different shapes. I decided to go with heart shaped leaves.
I drew the leaf onto the back of the dotted knit and then sewed it where I wanted on my t-shirt.
Here I have done a second leaf and then cut them both carefully out. You then go around to the right side and cut away the fabric that covers your shapes. Be sure you cut inside the stitching.
I think the leaves might have looked better without the internal lines, but I still like it.

5 comments:

Ricë said...

Fabulous! I love this! I would like to see a close-up of the leaves, though, please~~

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I have a favorite pink long sleeve tee that picked up another shade of"blue" from another tee so I am thinking of using a discharge bleach pen to draw onto the tee and then you have inspired me to add on...we will see what happens. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

Good idea Mary Helen, I want one of those bleach pens. I haven't been able to find one yet.

Kel said...

it's so not fair that you can sew like this, draw like that, and paint gorgeous canvases

;-)

Kym said...

Very cool Ricë inspired piece. I love the way the dotted fabric looks with the purple. OK, I think it is time for me to alter some clothes!