Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Patches as Embellishment

My latest fun, patches. It started with my niece putting patches on her thrifted clothing, part of making them hers. When we went to a Seattle market there was a woman selling lovely printed drawings on patches. My niece bought a few. At the time I didn't take a lot of notice.
Then, also while in the States, I bought two fabric markers, the Tee Juice fine point marker in brown, and a SetaSkrib marker in black, thinking to compare them. At home I did some drawing on muslin fabric (the bird is coloured in with some Crayola fabric markers I already had) and then remembered my niece's patches. It seemed like a fun way to personalize my thrift stores finds a bit more.
I sewed rattie onto my purple tunic, and the bird onto a thrifted top I had dyed a while back.
I am not completely sure how I feel about them. Perhaps a bit 'stuck on' looking? I am going to wait, maybe wear them a while and see how I feel. The good thing about the patch is I can always take it off and put it onto something else.

11 comments:

Bren said...

something fun and new to display your art forms, both in sewing and drawing.

susan christensen said...

wonder what you would think if you did some embroidery around the edges? would it serve to integrate the patch more into the garment? these are great, and a fun idea, Zom. love, sus

Zom said...

That is how I felt Bren.

Thankyou for the suggestion Susan. You are the one to ask about this stuff. I will try that.

amy said...

Hey. I love these. I never thought of putting my own art on the patches. I have lots of birds and shit - but nothing that is my own work. that's a fabby cool idea.
xxa

Kel said...

for someone who draws as well as you, this is a great idea :)

if you want them to look a bit more embedded how about some big bold contrasting zigzag edge stitches or stitch diagonally across some of the corners....

you have way too many talents in one woman ;-P

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I found some punch art at a thrift store and plan to use them on contemporary apron designs. Great minds... Peace, Mary helen Fernandez Stewart

Snowbrush said...

I like patches. I don't have any, but I like them.

Ricë said...

Keep going! Love the art on the patches--now for stitching and/or beading?

Zom said...

Will definitley do some stitching. Thanks everyone for suggestions and encouragement. I am onto a jeans skirt and going to a screen printing workshop this weekend so may be a little while.

Erica Louise said...

So beautiful! They would be wonderful on children's jeans or denim jackets? Would you consider selling your patches?

Zom said...

Erica, sure why not?