Saturday, 12 November 2011

Drawing from Nature

Much of the time I am drawing in the studio and this limits how much I can draw from nature. But I think I need this on a regular basis. The series I am doing is immersed in nature, and where I live nature is all around me. There is something incredibly nourishing for me about drawing from nature.
So today I did just that. I ended up doing a lot more walking than drawing, but even the little drawing I did felt wonderful. It isn't about ending up with a finished drawing, and I didn't. It is how I connect with what I am drawing, imbibe it with my eyes and bring it into my hands.
Once again, it is not about the drawing I end up with. I know that branch better than I did before I began. I know the angle the little branches leave the main branch, I remember its texture and colour, even though I didn't put those in the drawing. It is amazing how much I remember of things that I draw, even years later.

6 comments:

lilasvb said...

i miss so much your country, beautifull

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I love your attitude towards your craft, it's wonderful and your drawing is so soothing:)

Laura Farrow said...

yeah, drawing is so intimate, learning those details with your eyes. great job on the branch. I can feel it.

Bren said...

It's not always about the drawing, it's about what you draw into your spirit while in nature that then translates back into the studio later. Love the photos as well as your insights

Zom said...

Thanks you guys.
Bren, you have said it so well.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I miss Australia...such a lush and beautiful landscape to draw. Lovely, Mary Helen