Wednesday, 2 November 2011

A Good Painting Day

In the studio I consider it a good day if my painting looks better than when I began it that morning. This is an agreement I made with myself years ago as a way of tricking my inner critic.

This painting came alive for me yesterday. When that happens it is a really good painting day. Some paintings are alive from very early in the process. Some you aren't really sure if it will happen. I was a little concerned about this one. I liked the colours, I liked the subject, but she was looking a bit... flat.
Here it is much earlier in the process. If you want to see her at the very beginning go to this post.
And this was how it looked before she began to come alive.

She is still quite a ways from finished, but I am no longer worried.

8 comments:

La Dolce Vita said...

this has been wonderful to see your painting unflold.... she is alive...

amy said...

this is wonderful. it looks AWESOME.
awesome.
sorry i don't have something better to say, i'm partially drunk.
xxa

Denise said...

Great work!Enjoyed my visit. Denise

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

She is breath taking...you had a much more productive day in your studio today...lovely work. Peace, Mary Helen

Zom said...

I am so glad you guys like her. For some reason I feel compelled to add:
She isn't finished!

Kel said...

a very good painting day indeed
she definitely comes alive now

Sambodhi said...

great work Zom, she is wonderful, so real, thanks for showing the process

gypsy said...

Zom, At first glance, before quickly recognizing the ivy girl, I thought this was a photo you were using for reference. So indeed, she has come to life. Yay!!!