Monday, 14 November 2011

Painted Coffin Lid -the Guide

Remember the coffin lid I was painting ages ago?
Click on the photos if you want to see them larger.

I enjoyed painting it. I had a kind of fantasy while I was working on it that someone would buy it in preparation for their death. Perhaps they had been sick for a while and were at the point of facing that they would die. I imagined them bedridden, with the coffin lid hanging on the wall where they could see it. As I write this, I realise that might sound a bit morbid, but I wasn't seeing it that way. In my imagining, the young woman is a comfort to them. The name of the piece is 'the Guide' and she is the guide to the other side. I tried to make her loving and gentle as she looks over her shoulder to gently show you the way.
The lid had its debue last weekend at the Dying Art Exhibition at the Civic Hall in Mullumbimby NSW (Australia). The art show was part of the Carnival of Life and Death held yearly as a fundraising event by the Natural Death Centre. It was an interesting exhibit, the Civic Hall was dimly lit and people went around with flash lights to see the works. This created a hushed atmosphere, most appropriate to an art show filled with coffin lids, urns, shrines and shrouds.

7 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I purchased a set of small coffin set after Halloween...just because you have inspired me to re-evaluate the cycle of life and making an authentic life while we are here on Mother Earth. Blessings. Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Laura Farrow said...

I LOVE that and yes I do find the image very comforting, dare I say even inviting. What a cool idea for an exhibit too.

susan christensen said...

This is a beautiful piece, Zom. Boy would I love to be able to see the exhibit. Fascinating! -sus

amy said...

tell you what.
if i get totally sick and am like, 'ofuck i'm dying and don't have the emotional energy to beautify my coffin (because i am *DYING*, god.) then i will certainly buy that one and lay my little rotting head down in it.
xxa

Zom said...

Mary, a little coffin set! So cute, I want to see. I love miniature stuff.

Laura, I am so glad you find it comforting.

Thanks Sus

Amy, that is hilarious. I think first choice would be your own artwork though. I would love to see you do a coffin.

La Dolce Vita said...

what a great piece, very inviting, very apropos for a Day of the Dead exhibition and the flash lights...wow what a great touch...

Snowbrush said...

I quite like this.