Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Beginning a New Painting

Is there anything more exciting than the start of a new painting? At the time of inspiration anything is possible.

I took a series of reference photos with a neighbour girl nearly two years ago. In that time I have only used them for compositional sketches and a single finished drawing. The subject matter was good, I liked some of the photos very much. I knew I would use them, but was unsure how to approach it.

Today I know.
I spent the morning resizing and redrawing the compositional sketches. Sometimes I can get enough of an idea from a black and white photocopy of a reference, other times I need to draw the composition.

I am very excited.

6 comments:

Bren said...

Hmm exciting, be fun to see what/where you go with this

Carin said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see where you go with this!

La Dolce Vita said...

excited for you and cannot wait to see more...

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I learn soooo much from vicariously...this composition is a dozen lessons in one post! Blessings, Mary Helen

Zom said...

Thanks you guys. I mostly wanted to share the thrill of finally beginning with ideas I have felt stuck with for nearly two years.

Mary Helen, I am happy that you were able to get something useful out of such a short and rather vague post.

Ricë said...

Don't you LOVE it when that happens? The moment when you know an idea is going to work but you don't know quite how, and anything is possible. Yay, you--enjoy!