Sunday, 4 December 2011

Colouring on Fabric

I wanted to put some colour onto the drawing that I did on the t-shirt. The black and white drawing looked rather plain on the grey stripes.
I had some Golden GAC-900 that I bought months ago. It is a medium you can combine with acrylics paint to make fabric paint.

I mixed it with acrylic paint and painted over a drawing on muslin I had done a few weeks ago. I think it looks very much like regular painting. That wasn't the look I was going for, though it is interesting.

The medium is supposed to make it so that the fabric still feels soft after you paint it. I didn't find this to be the case, perhaps I didn't use enough.
As I didn't want a painted look on the t-shirt, I tried Crayola fabric markers to colour the drawing. It was more the look I had in mind. The colours are very limited. I wanted some opague white to separate her face from the grey stripe, and some pink for her lips and to warm parts of her face.

A brown stain mysteriously appeared when I was ironing it. (You have to heatset the markers to be able to wash the garment.) They might have come from the muslin patch that I was ironing at the same time.

4 comments:

Kel said...

huh, looks like i'm 5 hrs slow, linked to your earlier tweet and commented, then discovered there was an updated post!

spooky, you've used orange and green!
although a softer version
they must be your signature colours

:-)

Zom said...

That was kind of spooky Kel, haha.

Zoe said...

I love this! I really would love a hand drawn tee- it's beautiful anf so unique!X

Bren said...

Talk about up scaling your T-shirt! Beautifully done.