Monday, 23 January 2012

Courage from a Book

An Illustrated Life by Danny Gregory is a fantastic book. It is basically a look into a bunch of artists' sketchbooks.
I have had it for probably a year and haven't finished it yet. Why? Because I read a bit then wait a while before I read more. I do this to give myself time to let in what each artist has to share.

The past week I was looking at the pages on Noah Jones. He is a graphic artist, and he was talking about how he does these stream of consciousness drawings in his sketchbook. It is a relaxing thing for him. He doesn't show them to people or do anything with them. I really liked the idea of drawing as a way to relax.

Drawing without knowing what you are going to draw has attracted me in the past. Not long ago I was doing the 120 Day Challenge where I was drawing, without knowing what I was going to draw, 20 minutes a day. (No, I didn't make it the 120 days.)

Along the same line I have been admiring Susan Christensen's drawings for a while now. She does a daily drawing practice. I told her the other day I wish I could draw like her. So maybe all these thoughts converged and Noah Jone's pages were the tipping point. I thought 'why not?'

So the other evening I began drawing, with full permission for it to be dumb or bad or silly or repetitive. And it was relaxing, and it was fun. And I would like to do more, not as a part of any challenge or commitment but just as a kind of light entertainment.

But you will have to forgive me if I don't show you in the near future. Not because I mind sharing with you guys, but just because I have the feeling that it will make me a little self-conscious during my drawing time.

But I would encourage you to give it a try. And I would love to see what you do, if you want to show me.

10 comments:

lynne h said...

i just ordered this book, zom.... and yes, i understand why you don't want to show what you've drawn. i feel that way about most of what's in my 'daily books'...

xoxo

Zom said...

Lynne, I could have listed your drawing as an inspiration as well.

Kel said...

definitely a book for the hardcopy version, kindle wouldn't work :-)

nice to see some of the places where you get your inspiration

sometimes when things are new, we need to give them space and time to 'birth' in privacy

enjoy your drawing time

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am going to try to see if my library has this book...I so love studying other artist's sketch books and drawings. It is an intimate view of the artist's heart. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Yes Lynne Hoppe has an incredible set of books, journals and sketches she shares with the rest of us.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I ordered this book from Amazon...they deliver when the weather is inclement :0)! Any excuse to own a new book! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

Kel, I don't have kindle but I think you would be right.

Mary Helen, be sure and tell me what you think. I think you will like it.

Carin said...

I LOVE this book. I read it last year and each and every page just oozed with inspiration. It's definitely a book to savour, slowly, and really let it all sink in. I bought the creative license at the same time, and am slowly working my way through that now.

Zom said...

Carin, I haven't heard of the Creative Liscense. Is that by Danny Gregory as well?

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Zom this book is fabulous eye candy!!! I also bought his Everyday Matters from 2003 and The War of Art by Steven Pressfield...and it is a kick in the booty!!! Have a great week!!!! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Teddi said...

i own his book the creative license, & it's wonderful!