Friday, 6 January 2012

Did I Ruin this Drawing?


And does it matter?

I drew this into my art journal last week. I liked it okay but it didn't excite me. What did excite me was the thought of colouring it in wild colours with my water-soluble crayons. I have some lovely Neocolor 2 Carand'ache ones. (when I put in the link I saw that they have sets with over 80 colours, it brought up my crayon lust! I have the 40 colour set.)
So I did. Then it looked weird on the white background so I put in the dark background with Derwent Inktense water-soluble pencils.

I didn't think the lines all over the background was working. So I took my art journal out into the studio and painted in the background with black gesso. Much better. It suites the strength of the colours.
I finished the page off with a prayer that a dear friend taught me for taking total responsibility. Sorry, but I don't understand it well enough to explain it.

Do I think the drawing is better? Not really. Am I sorry I changed it? Not at all. I am happy with the page, I took risks and it was fun doing it. I think when I look at the page I remember that.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

At first I just did not get it or it did not have a strong impact....but you continued your journey and the final results are great! I would love to own the 80 color set someday too...we are like kids in a candy store with art supplies. Peace,Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Happy Friday ... already :0)!

Melanie said...

Oh, I love it ... the strong colors suit it!

Kel said...

well you know me
I think everything looks better with black gesso

:-)

Zom said...

You have given me an idea Kel, of a black gesso journal. Partly from seeing how good it is looking in your journal.

Kel said...

my altered book journal for 2011 has been all about black gesso backgrounds... its a signature style i will continue with in my journalling this year as it just feels 'right' for me

Anonymous said...

Love the process, lesson and the homage to the creative process. thank you for sharing this.