Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Sometimes I Really don't know What I am Doing

And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Can even be a good thing - but it often doesn't feel good.
You have already seen the very beginning of this... is it a drawing or a painting? not sure.
It is an experiment where I am trying out coloured pencil on wood, and it had a promising start. The second stage looked okay too.
.
But then I decided to put some molding paste over the top, forgetting that molding paste isn't completely transparent.


She looks like she is underwater, or behind a fog. All the clear drawing is faded.






















I wanted a darker background, some texture. I also went in and redrew most of her, and some of the bees.

Is this an improvement? I wanted it less sweet, I think that is happening.






A mysterious shape appeared in the background. Vaguely threatening (I hope.)


I think I will leave it a while.

What do you think?

9 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

I really like this Zom, but I don't feel threatened by it at all, now if there were scorpions on the ground, that would creep me out!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

She is a child full of inquisitive grace...I love the new background and she has a real charm here. You have done a great job!!! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Ricë said...

Well, *I* find it threatening, but I find children terrifying, so I'm not much help.

Ricë said...

I meant to add that I love it, threatening or not, and I think the bees are perfect.

Julie said...

I really like this, I like the mix of a sweet little girl surrounded by bees and scary stuff ... or should I say I like the feeling of Awww-ohhh my! LOL ... it causes more then one feeling, and THAT is what I like. :)

Zom said...

Caterina, well you know I have a good reference for that...

Mary Helen, thank you so much.

Rice, you have made me guffaw. She is terrifying isn't she?

Julie I am so glad that is how you read it. :)

Thanks everyone, you have made me feel I am going in the right direction and given me courage to continue. Hopefully I can get a better photo when she is finished.

susan christensen said...

The bees are a great symbol. Happy Leap DAy, sus

Tracey Broome said...

This reminds me of the painterly app on my ipad, except you are doing it for real! Very nice, I love this look :)

Laurie Jess said...

Pencil on wood sounds very intriguing. I never thought about that. Zom very nice artwork & I like the texture you added to the background too. All great artist take chances.