Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Oh S**t


I am always trying new stuff. That is one of the things that makes creativity endlessly fascinating, right?

But it doesn't always work out. 
I began drawing out a new piece a few days ago. I was drawing in pencil and then I put down some pen. But the wood was bare, I hadn't prepared it in any way, and the pen wasn't giving me the clean line I wanted. I assumed that was because the wood was too absorbent, so I decided to put acrylic matt medium over the whole thing.

Oops. When I painted the medium over the top the pen line fuzzed out. The Faber Castell Pitt pen is supposed to be waterproof. Perhaps I didn't let it dry long enough. Perhaps it is waterproof but not matt medium proof. Anyway this is what happened. 

A rather big deal and totally not okay. I don't want to paint over the wood, but I can't leave the lines like that. There is no way to erase permanent ink, even without the matt medium (that stuff is basically glue) on top. Yikes. 

6 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

leave it for a while and then you might get an intuitive hit about how to approach it... I love experimentation too, it makes the solitude of the studio so exciting but when it goes wrong, it is frustrating...

susan christensen said...

Oh, my friend - I can relate to things not always working out the way you planned - BUT as you know, sometimes the accidents are a push to the new great thing! I agree with Caterina, leave it for awhile and see what happens. (I really rather like that quality of line you ended up with). xxoo, sus

Zom said...

Sus, trust you to like that line, haha ( I love the way you have gotten me to look at it with fresh eyes.)

Does Not work with my stuff though!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Leave it and work with the flow....she is so cute!!!! Peace, Mary Helen

Mariann S Sæbjørnsen said...

I just want to say I love your work :)

Zom said...

Thanks Mariann. This isn't a good example, haha.