Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Death Art Journal Page


I am taking a blog holiday, so forgive me if I don't get back to your comments. I am reposting some older art journal pages that I created when I first began.
This is my Death Journal Page. I guess you gotta have a death page.

I found a little bat dead in my studio. I drew him. I felt bad that he had died caught in my louver windows. He stank a little. 

After the drawing, I glued down  a magazine photo of a man in a graveyard. Then I added some dictionary pages about death and bones and the brain. 
I must have forgotten to scan my pages. I think these pages were freaking me out a bit.
I gessoed lightly over and around the dictionary pages and the man. Then I did a wash of umber acrylic paint.
I added the other magazine photos of brains and organs, the bone and the bat. 

Then came the quotes from Rumi, a well known 13th century mystic and poet. I wrote with a Staedler fineliner pen. It isn't waterproof, but that doesn't matter as I won't be adding anything over the top. I used the Staedler because I have a set with 20 different colours, and I wanted a muted brown that wouldn't stand out too much from the rest of the page.
It needed some kind of border to pull it together. I am not sure what the train track like border represents, but it kind of fitted into the general mood.

You gotta have some dark pages in with the light, don't you reckon?

4 comments:

lilasvb said...

enjoy your holidays

susan christensen said...

one of your most interesting efforts, Zom. hope you are enjoying your time away to the fullest. thinking of you, sus

Kel said...

love hearing about your process Zom
when I look at this I feel like the train track is a life line

Natasha said...

Wow. I enjiyed hearing about the process that people's art journal pages take, how they get gathered together. I love that you immortalised the bat as well, and the other images you chose.

Enjoy your blog holiday.