Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Hated Art Journal Pages

I am taking a blog holiday, so forgive me if I don't get back to your comments. I am reposting some older art journal pages that I created when I first began.
This were my most hated journal pages. The ones that I wanted to cut out. (In the five years I have been art journaling, I am happy to say I have never cut out a single art journal page.) These are the pages that  I would rush by when flipping through my journal. What was I ever going to do with them?
After leaving them for a few weeks, I ventured in again. 
The left page was intriguing so I drew into the splot of paint. I saw a bird woman.  I wiped out the right page with black gesso. I felt stuck.  
I gessoed over the right page.

I knew what I 'should' do. I felt I should complete the left page as some kind of drawing. But I just didn't want to. It didn't inspire me. 
I left the pages for 6 weeks or more before I played with them again.
When I did return, it was play that got me over the hump. Without too much thinking I stuck down strips of magazine, a photocopy of an old photo from younger days, and a piece of colour photocopy of an earlier journal page. I cut out more magazine bits to create a new hat and dress for myself.
I brought in pieces of photocopies of my wonderful students' pages. And of the Fool card in the Tarot. A photo of me as a toddler. I wasn't thinking out any of this - maybe I was attracted to images and writing because of colour, I don't know. 
I used my new ZIG opaque writer fine tip pen (white) for the fool's sun and mountain peaks. It really blocks stuff out.
Finally the writing. The question is mine. The answer, I don't know where it comes from. 

5 comments:

Kathy, PaperPumpkin said...

I love how you created these pages, and the process you went through!

Laura Farrow said...

I have a hard time keeping the uglies even in my sketchbook that only I see! I am trying to let it be ok to trip and fall and scrape my artistic knees up and learn from it. The pressure to conjure greatness in everything feels inhibiting. Play is the cure, indeed. xo

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

The uglies are just a step in our journey...you make them and then you step forward. You are so loved! Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Shannon said...

Bravo for trusting the creative force and just WAITING for the unfolding, waiting for the signs and not pushing to some kind of did-it-before conclusion.

Anonymous said...

Good ρost. I learn something totallу new and challenging on
sites I stumbleupon every day. It's always useful to read content from other writers and practice something from their web sites.
Here is my webpage : Diesel Trainers