Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Loving Insight from a Friend Art Journal Page

I am taking a blog holiday, so forgive me if I don't get back to your comments. I am reposting some older art journal pages that I created when I first began.

I wasn't sure what to call these pages, but finally decided the emphasis is on the beautiful bit of wisdom I received from my friend Rose. I had been complaining of what I felt was my inability to understand and follow social conventions.

I think it is interesting that this quote is on a page of my ancestors. 
It feels like some family karma that has been released. I recognise a freedom that I didn't used to feel.
I started with gessoing the pages and then painted them with acrylic paint. Apparently it's a good idea to water the paint down a bit, that way the pages are less likely to stick together. (Which is also why you never put gloss acrylic medium or varnish over the top of a page - the two pages will stay sticky).
The diamonds are printed with a homemade background stamp, made with craft foam glued onto wood. Fun, fun. I will have to do more of that. I brushed acrylic paint onto the stamps for the stamping.

Strangely enough, as much as I love the background stamping, these pages stayed at this point for months. I think the pattern intimidated me a bit. 
But as soon as I slapped a few photocopies down I was away. I love working with black and white copies of photos. I don't do scrapbooking so my old photos are just stuffed away in a plastic box. It feels wonderful to use them in my art journal. 

I actually hadn't realised that I had a photo of my father's father. He died before I was born.

The camels and the building are magazine images. I also added a few rub-ons and stickers.
Lastly the quotes are written with Uniball Signo gel pens.

2 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I missed this one...YAHOO!!! enjoy your Holiday!!! Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Kel said...

what a wise friend you have
am enjoying the peak into your journal