Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Reasons Art Journal Page

I am taking a blog holiday, so forgive me if I don't get back to your comments. I am reposting some older art journal pages that I created when I first began.
Here is a page that I don't know what it means. It is almost like there is some message about my father's side of the family, maybe about him and his mother? But I don't know what it is.

I tell you though, I think symbolic stuff can work on us without us understanding what is going on. Like dreams do. And when I look at these pages there is a feeling of healing though I couldn't tell you what it is about.I began these pages by writing down a dream.

I put a coat of gesso over the writing so that it wouldn't show as much. I painted both pages with a watered down layer of raw umber acrylic paint. The thin paint goes blotchy on the moleskine paper. I don't mind that in backgrounds.

But for my next journal, I am going to try a different book with different paper. I want to do more painting in the next one.
The moth is a magazine cut out. Again, no plan for these pages. I am working completely on impulse. I went through a bunch of images I had cut out and felt drawn to the moth. Butterflies symbolise transformation, I don't know what moths symbolise.
I like her little fuzzy body.
This is a photocopy of a photo of my grandmother on my Dad's side. I never knew her. This was her wedding photo. 
I tore it rather than cutting so the edges would blend into the background more.
That's a picture of my Dad in the canoe when he was young, maybe 19. The star is foil from some chocolate. I drew on the other side with a ballpoint pen that was out of ink, then glued it on. 
The border is water soluble crayon linking cut-out patterns from a magazine.
The writing is gel pens. Love the gel pens. The white is the wonderful ZIG opaque writer that seems to go over anything. 

No comments: