Saturday, 17 November 2012

This Week at the Studio


 I received my copies of Journal It! in the post this week. It is exciting to be in print, and Jenny Doh did a good job. The book covers 19 artists and they are not the usual faces that are in many of the art journaling books. She has picked a nice diversity. You can buy it on Amazon.


I will tell you guys a secret though - I am a little embarrassed by the first spread of my pages. It is my own fault, it was my choice which journal I sent to her. 

I give myself free reign in my art journal to explore anything that takes my fancy. At the time it was dolls. The fascination lasted only a few months and then it was gone. It never entered into my studio work. I can only hope that I won't be thought of as the art journaler that draws big-eyed girls (not that there is anything wrong with that.)


There are a few pages where we give instructions on our favourite techniques. I still love undercollage.


It is spring in Australia and lots of animals are out and about. I have had a few times that I couldn't go to the dunny at night because of snakes. 

I really enjoy the monitor lizards. This is a young guy, only just over a metre long. I hear him rustling around looking for food. I watched one catch a rat outside my studio once. He grabbed it and slammed it to the ground to knock it out, then swallowed it whole.


I am finishing some paintings in the studio.

I can spend weeks doing subtle adjustments of colours, tones and drawing. I find it very satisfying. 
Many people can't tell the difference, but I can so I do it.









6 comments:

lynne h said...

zom, smiling at your words about many people not being able to tell the difference in your subtle changes. i so *get* that. and i am one that can spend hours making subtle changes too...

xoxo

Zom said...

That makes me feel close to you Lynne. xo

Zom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am so happy to see your part of the journaling book...you rock girl! Now the monitor looks a bit suspicious ...do they bite?? I will continue to look and buy my own personal copy. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

Thanks Mary Helen :).
You wouldn't want to get into a scrap with a monitor lizard, their claws are bad enough even without the bite. But they aren't scary as they usually run away.

Mary said...

Love the paintings. They are all wonderful, even the older ones you linked to. The biggest treat, though, was seeing inside your study. It is always so great to see where/how other artists work. I REALLY like your big glass palette. A truly inspired idea! Mary