Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Changing an Art Journal Background You Don't Like


Several weeks ago we tried a new background technique in my art journaling class. You glue down newsprint and then wash with colour. I wasn't very excited by what I ended up with. No matter, that is the thing with art journaling, you just keep going and see what turns up.
I have been wanting some flexible alphabet stencils for ages, because unlike the thickish plastic ones you can use them with paint. The thicker stiff ones only seem to work with pens. With the help of a student, I found them at the local newsagent last week. 

I covered the left page with gesso and then started painted on a gesso resist design with my new stencil on the right page. (If you want to know what a gesso resist technique is, go here.)

I really should have waited until the gesso dried and then moved the stencil closer on the 8's and 9's but I couldn't be bothered.
Then I covered in a wash of manganese blue hue. Was still a bit boring so I finished with some lemon yellow in places.
I am happy with this as an art journal background.

4 comments:

Sharon Robb-Chism said...

I really like those number stencils! And the colors you picked seem very calming, even with that splash of yellow. :=)

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I have been working with stencils since last May for my Whispers in the Trees at Dawes Arboretum. So many possibilities!!! I love the background in your journals! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Zom said...

Thanks Sharon and Mary Helen. I had fun :)

Custom T-shirts India said...

Everyone likes collection of branded t-shirts they can't bear to throw away from tours, fest, sports or hobbies.Someone expecting to express themselves creatively should certainly look for branded t-shirts to accomplish this intention.
Custom T-shirts India