Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Finished my First Alabama Chanin Bolero - a Refashion Post

I finished my first Alabama Chanin inspired bolero - didn't I already say that in the title?


Alabama Chanin is a very fashion line that is completely hand stitched by women who are paid a living wage! All fantastic, but even cooler in my book is that she sells books telling you how to make her designs yourself. The bolero is in Alabama Studio Sewing and Design.

I am interested in trying new creative stuff, and this is partly where my refashioning is taking me as I prefer sewing by hand than by machine.
I am showing you the back first because it is where everything is happening.
I cut it out of a t-shirt that a friend gave to my husband while we were in the States. I managed to talk him out of it, obviously. Red doesn't suit him anyway.
Not a lot happening in the front, which I kind of like. It is a bit small and I will go up to large next time. I want to make one with sleeves. 

Here is my next Alabama project. I am making a t-shirt out of a t-shirt, haha. Another shirt stolen from my husband. I have to retrain my friends to give me the cool men's t-shirts.
I am having a lot of challenges with this one. Did I mention that I don't know what I am doing? 

I decided to put this super cool graphic on the back. And I tried to cut it so I could keep the double-hem. I don't know if it is going to line up.

This is in a large size which seems like it could fit ( I am usually a small or medium on top.)
I have pinned the shoulders so I can get an idea how it might look. I am thinking of making the neckline lower - I hate to cut into the design, but I don't think I will like it this high. And maybe cap sleeves. What do you think?    
(I didn't fold the cloth when I was cutting it out, and I began cutting down the middle. Fortunately I realised what I was doing before I got any further.)
Oh, I don't think I showed you these. I put them on Facebook. I love wearing them but when my daughter-in-law complimented me on my 'pajamas' I decided not to wear them out.

I thrifted the basic long shorts (or are they pyjamas?) and added the ruffles on the legs and a patch to cover a small hole.



6 comments:

Cheryl Razmus said...

Yaaa! Another convert! I am always working on one or more pieces from the books. They are so comfortable to wear and once you figure out the best size they fit the body so well. Do you know about the flickr group of AC groupies? Lots of inspiration there as well.

Ricë said...

I love this--and I think it fits quite well and flatters your figure fabulously! Of course, it might feel to you as if it's pulling across the back--I HATE it when stuff does that to me. But it looks great o you, and I'm thrilled you're making more--like Cheryl said, another convert! XO

susan christensen said...

HI, Zom - I am so impressed by your recent upcycles and cheering you on from afar. The red vest is so cool, love the minimal front view, very flattering. -xux

Zom said...

Thanks you guys. I am going over to check out the flickr group now Cheryl. :)

Caterina Giglio said...

love alabama's work and it looks like you are having fun and btw that pettiloon look is really popular in some circles!

Sharon Robb-Chism said...

I think I told you on FB how much I like the graphics on that T-shirt. And I had to laugh about your comment on people now giving you shirts. When my husband gets offered freebies through where he works, he asks for extra large now, so I can cut them up later. :=)