Wednesday, 3 April 2013

A Few of my Creature Neighbours

I thought I would pull you in with someone cute. 

The wallabies have gotten much friendlier in the past few years. We have lived here 16 years, and it wasn't until about 4 years ago that they started coming right up to the house. They live about 10 years, so I reckon it is the new generation. They have grown up with us on the land.

These are the same steps you see to the right of the first photo. Can you see the red arrow? That points a new arrival, a black snake. I quite like black snakes, but as they are deadly I kind of wish this one would not keep hanging around the back verandah and steps.

In this photo, she is partly inside a hole in the rock steps. We should have filled that hole in years ago, but now we can't because it is the home of a large green frog. He has lived there for about 10 years and every year we hear him yell as some snake sticks their head in his hole to try and eat him. They never succeed because once they are in the hole, they can't open their mouth wide enough to bite him. 

I got very close to take this photo, but there was no danger as this snake hadn't moved for 30 minutes. Think of the poor snake's longing - she can see the frog but she can't eat it.

I took the snake photos sometime last week and I thought perhaps she had moved on. But this is what awaited me when I went to put my shoes on for my early morning walk. Its skin. *sigh* looks like I am going to have to keep my eyes open.


Here is another cute picture before you go so I don't leave you with just snake thoughts. These are a mob of micro bats who were roosting on the front porch of the studio for a few days before they moved on. 

10 comments:

Laura Farrow said...

eeeekk! just thinking about a snake taking a nap in my shoe! where I live, black snakes are allies.. unless you have a chicken coop! how cool for a wee wallaby to wander up for a close encounter! we have deer and owls and fox, some even say coyotes around often enough.. they somehow seem less exotic. I guess it's all what you're used to...

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I did not realize the black snakes were dangerous when I was there years ago. The snake skin is beautiful and would be nice in an assemblage. I love the wallabys...they are as friendly as our white tail deer who share my hillside. Our bats here keep the pests population down ...and rarely bother us. I found this post to be a very intriguing...thank you. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Lovely pictures of your not-so-wildlife! Even the snake was intriguing. Love the wallaby and the bats!

Roberta said...

I now know why I stay in the city.

Zom said...

Laura, I loved seeing the deer again when I was last in the States. We also have foxes, but they are considered feral pests as they are not indigenous.

Yes Mary Helen, blacks are poisonous but not aggressive. They say they keep away the brown snakes which are both poisonous and aggressive.

Zom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

I love it when you post about the creatures that live near your home! How awesome! That wallaby is so CUTE!!! And so are the bats - so furry!!!! I'm a little more afraid of snakes, but he is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Zom said...

Thanks Michelle.

Susan Christensen said...

The wallabee is such a cute neighbor, Zom. Crazy two-tone coat! -sus

Caterina Giglio said...

well wallabies and bats I could live with, but deadly snakes... oh yikes!