Monday, 10 June 2013

Three Thrifted T-Shirts make One Refashioned T

The remaking of three thrifted t-shirts into this refashioned t-shirt was a bit of a longish road. The journey follows:

These are the three mens' t-shirts I began with. My initial inspiration was the middle one because I liked the dark grey with the red typeface. The plan is to make another t-shirt from an Alabama Chanin pattern. If you haven't seen the first one I made, you might want to check it out here.

First I placed the pattern pieces on the t-shirt I wanted to use for the body. I am trying to figure out how I want to place the logos. I kind of wanted it not centred, but it wouldn't have looked right. 

I could not relate to the attitude of the original t-shirt. It advertises a sporting school with: "Sporting School of Excellence. No Place for Second Best." and "to be the best you much first beat the best". Not me at all. So I tried to think of how I could mess with it.

Above I am wondering how it might look with red sleeves and a red pocket.
Or should I really change the mood and put on a big fat heart? I have sewn the shoulders up.
In the end I went for the pocket. I am not much into wearing too many hearts. 

Here is the direction the back is going. A little heart over the "no" so now there is a place for second best, teehee. I have already sewn up most of the t-shirt. It is all entirely hand-sewn, no machine stitching. I love hand-stitching. 
The second grey t-shirt became the sleeves. As you can see I couldn't completely get away from its logo, there wasn't enough fabric to cut out the sleeves without it. I don't mind though.

I had to piece the sleeves out of the two other t-shirts. They were too long to fit into one.

Here is the back completely finished. The red writing now says Macri Rorting School of Insolence. Rorting is australian slang that means a dishonest act or practice. It doesn't make complete sense but I prefer the cheeky attitude.

 
Here is the front completed. I don't know about the pocket, what do you think?


The back you have already seen.

And here is how I wore it to class, with my $6 thrifted jacket. 



9 comments:

Barbara Smith said...

I love it! You asked about the pocket...I'm not so crazy about it. I adore the sleeves, though. :)
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Zom said...

Thanks Barbara. I made the pocket smaller, maybe it needs to be smaller still. I need something there so it doesn't say "to be the best, you must first beat the best".

Caterina Giglio said...

I think this is great ... well done!

Ricë said...

I love it, and I love even more your telling about the process! Very cool. I'm not a big fan of chest pockets for women's clothes--is there any way you could make it say "to be the beast?" You know, put a little "a" above with an "insert" mark?

Zom said...

Thanks Caterina.

I like it Rice. Do you ever find it difficult to pick up a piece again after you have 'finished'?

Sharon Robb-Chism said...

Great finished shirt. Not sure about the pocket. Maybe some cretin stitch along the top edge, to tie it in with the other stitches? Not sure, but love the "insolence." :=)

Lazyfish said...

Very pretty,i'm in love with the sleeves!If it was mine,i'd remove the red pocket though.

Judy Wise said...

Love your Chanin projects and I'm thrilled to find another enthusiast. Love this T-shirt re-do. Now I'm always on the look out for more T-shirts. And the rags make perfect paint rags. everything gets used! I've added you to my list of blogs that I follow. Happy sewing!

Anonymous said...

Not too fond of the pocket either. I would alter the second sentence. To be the best, you must first take a rest ;)